moocow

Author Topic: Benefits  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Caerulea

Benefits
« on: November 19, 2012, 11:06:32 pm »
I thought I would venture here for this question. Hopefully our vaping journey starts tomorrow.
Sorry to reiterate any info already given in my 'Hello' post...
I currently smoke additive free Drum with two skinny filters. Probably about 15/20 a day. Hubby smoke blue Drum with one skinny filter and 25 ish a day. We both came off 'straights' 5 years ago - smoked a whole lot more of those puppies. Started smoking at the ripe old age of 12 (YAY take that parents - I found a way to slowly and painfully kill myself.) am now 34.

I have bought the Vision eGo PT v2 Kit with various 8mg flavours for myself and hubby is going with the Tobacco one that comes with it.

We are hopeless addicts and so far nothing has worked for giving up - including Champix and its fabulous side effects...

SO - we are both feeling really positive about this.

Amoung the many questions I have is - how quickly (assuming at all) did you start to notice changes in taste/smell/being able to walk up a hill without a respirator?

When giving up smoking previously, my taste and smell came back within days and tbh, it is what I am most looking forward to. Well, that and not stinking like a damp ashtray when reading my kids bedtime stories.

Offline mechanism

• O M G
  • Ⓛⓘⓑⓔⓡⓣⓨ Ⓕⓛⓘⓔⓡ
Re: Benefits
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:14:56 pm »
I have so much to write, Caerulea, on this subject, but I have to go and sleep and I have work tomorrow so I may not get much chance to say it. But I'll just say I have a good idea about any trepidation you may be feeling right now. I was a smoker for 40 years and I enjoyed smoking a great deal. I don't think I smelled of it too badly as I was careful to smoke outside and wash my hands, clothes, hair regularly etc. and I only smoked about 12 menthols a day. I really didn't want to quit. But I enjoy vaping more than I could to put into words. I think it helped though that I didn't feel like I was exchanging one for the other. I quit smoking for a month before I started vaping and I was using patches. So vaping to me came like a complete and welcome surprise!

Great good luck to you and your husband, there are lots of people here who will give you as much support with vaping as you could hope for. Glad you found this forum, it's the best ;D

Offline TopCookie

• O M G
  • Absolute fcuker...!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:15:50 pm »

Among the many questions I have is - how quickly (assuming at all) did you start to notice changes in taste/smell/being able to walk up a hill without a respirator?

That stuff will come back real fast, along with a sense of comfort knowing that you can continue vaping as long as you like, and never need to go back to old fashioned cigarettes...  :)

Offline Indigo340

• O M G
  • ¿ ƃuoɹʍ oƃ ʎlqıssod plnoɔ ʇɐɥʍ
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:36:47 pm »
For me it was like waking up from a bad dream where I was a slave to those stinkies. One day I was a smoker and the next I had my life under control. I remember taking the first few drags on the rubbish e-cig that I had and realised that it was going to change my life ! I wasn't a heavy smoker and had managed to quit a few times before, the last time was for 6 months and I only started smoking again about 1 year before getting my first e-cig so my taste and smell were not that bad and that was only a minor improvement. I have always kept myself fit and healthy too so again the improvements have been small
It was a huge psychological benefit to me though, actually not wanting a ciggie was/is the best part of it. Each time I quit before, I felt good about myself but I hated the fact that I always craved a cigarette, I would hang out with smokers so that I would get some second hand smoke, I would love the smell of a freshly lit one and even after 2 years I still had the cravings which is why I started up again. I hated that fact, I hated that it had so much control over me and I could not completely quit. Vaping is perfect for me, it gives me the nicotine fix in controlled quantities and satisfies the old habit. I can honestly say that I no longer crave cigarettes and the smell is very unattractive to me now after 10 months and as long as I have something to vape then that will always be the case.
You are embarking on a fantastic life changing journey where you will meet lot's of new and interesting like-minded people who are more than willing to help you on your way. There will be hard times of course but with the good people of the forum to advise you, you will have a great time. It's easier than you think  ;)

Offline Caerulea

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 09:28:58 pm »
I completely sympathise with the not wanting to quit, yet knowing you should. I really enjoyed the act of smoking. The process, the rolling, the five minutes outside away from customers (who would still come and bloody find me) or a coffee and some quiet in the garden whilst watching my children run riot round the house through the window. BUT, I was starting to hate the taste of tobacco. Worse, this additive free drum has stained my fingers! Not had that in all my years of smoking. Makes me wonder what they now put into the normal stuff that stops the staining from happening.

Anyhow, I guess the staining will go away now.

I cleared out my bag today, which is generally a graveyard of rolly butts (never been able to drop them on the ground lol) and fluffy filters buried amoungst a good deal of very dry, escaped tobacco. Whenever I have given up before, that has been a really hard process...it used to be agony to see or smell ANYthing related to smoking. Today, not a problem. In fact, I have started purging my life of anything baccy related and my god it feels good, like this time it is for good. Crikey, I sound like the partner that has suffered at abusive hands for years and has just found the courage to kick 'em out! And I guess that IS how I feel a bit.

Did any of you start this process with the intention of using the vaporisers as a means to stop altogether, ie, to run the gamet of nicotine strengths and then finally kick the physical action and sensation of smoking entirely, and then just find yourself with a new (albeit not life threatening) addiction?

Right now I am not setting myself any targets but to eventually hit 0mg and then see how I go.

Finally - how (Indigo) did you manage to hang out with smokers when stopping? One of the first things for me (usually in the first day of stopping, previously) was the smell of smoke would turn my stomach, that said, if I think about it I still wanted one. Oh what a hideous and terrifying thing ciggarettes are!

Caerulea

Offline jaker

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 10:11:04 pm »
One bit of advice I have shared with a number of friends who I have tempted into vaping is to keep reminding yourself that when you get that feeling that you need a cigarette it is actually your body wanting nicotine NOT your body needing tobacco. When you get that feeling vape vape vape. Its just a much much cleaner and healthier way to deliver your drug! It might sound silly but you will see what I mean as you get into vaping. Don't be scared to up the nicotine levels in your early juices if you get cravings  as you will probably find you will start wanting less nicotine very quickly. If you are getting a lot of cravings, get some stronger juice. 8mg is very low to start with.

Also definitely try different flavours as your taste will change a lot in the first month. Different flavours will keep you interested.
I am 4 months in now and still usually have 3 different flavours with me at different strengths. I have a fruity one at 8mg, a tobacco at 12 or 14 and what I call my pub vape which is 18mg. If you get bored, try a new flavour or a new/carto/clearo etc

As for being with friends that smoke..you really wont find that a problem when you get your head round vaping and you will also find more than a few will start vaping! most of my colleagues and friends smoked. now 60% of them vape instead. Also its winter....when they are all outside in the cold and the wet you can be in the warm getting your fix!

good luck!

oh also when Alien juices become available...buy lots and lots of it

Offline Indigo340

• O M G
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 10:19:40 pm »
Finally - how (Indigo) did you manage to hang out with smokers when stopping? One of the first things for me (usually in the first day of stopping, previously) was the smell of smoke would turn my stomach, that said, if I think about it I still wanted one. Oh what a hideous and terrifying thing ciggarettes are!

Caerulea

My favourite part of the cigarette was the first bit, the very tip, probably only a few mm really. I actually enjoyed lighting one and taking the first couple of drags, after that I didn't like it much but it was 'customary' to finish a ciggie once I'd lit it, kind of a punishment for being weak I suppose. A freshly lit one would always have a big attraction for me until I found e-cigs. Every drag of a good ecig is like the first, they always give me what I crave and enjoy so much. A bit too much really, I intended to use them as a means of quitting tobacco and then perhaps in the future to stop using ecigs too but I really enjoy vaping a lot, a BIG LOT !

Our good friend Zip posted this today and after reading it I can't see any real need to cut out the nicotine now, it's really interesting although the first part relates to the workplace it is worth reading the entire thing.
http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5911.0;attach=12091

Offline TopCookie

• O M G
  • Absolute fcuker...!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 11:30:06 pm »
Did any of you start this process with the intention of using the vaporisers as a means to stop altogether, ie, to run the gamut of nicotine strengths and then finally kick the physical action and sensation of smoking entirely, and then just find yourself with a new (albeit not life threatening) addiction?

Right now I am not setting myself any targets but to eventually hit 0mg and then see how I go.

Caerulea

This is exactly what happened to me...  I started vaping when already in the process of quitting the fags, and was on patches at the time...  just wanted to retain that whole hand to mouth thing and the "ceremony" of smoking while I was quitting...  This was accompanied by an eventual all out switch to vaping with the intention of a progressive plan to reduce nicotine levels until I hit zero nic and then finally stop vaping...

Best laid plans though, and all that stuff...  I have now been off the ciggies for almost two years and am loving vaping more than ever...  Have settled on a usual strength of 11mg nicotine and now view things differently:  I vape instead of smoking, and have no plans to stop vaping at all...  We never know what's around the corner of course, but I currently have no plans to quit and can't imagine life without vaping at the moment, quite honestly...  I never especially "loved" smoking, but I really do enjoy my vaping a big lot...  :)

For you...  I wouldn't worry about any other targets right now outside of just making sure that you never go back to the analogue cigarettes...  :)

Offline El Zipster

• O M G
  • HF Dripper on a Raptor TWICE!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 01:27:41 am »
Being a Marlboro smoker most recently and in the past rollies amongst other things depending on my personal circumstances at the time and having quit smoking altogether for 7 years and starting all over again I can tell you that the switch to vaping for me has been a godsend. The problem I had/have is that I love to smoke!! I don't know what it is but I love it!! Vaping gives me the smoke I love and to be honest I don't feel like i've quit!! I bought my original Riva kit with a view of using it alongside my smokes to cut down a little. Well, I got it in my hand and thought blimey!! this is satisfying all my needs why do I need a ciggie! Well the following evening I tried a ciggie and although I enjoyed it I found myself saying to myself, is this giving me anything extra. The answer was quite simply NO, so, 6 months down the road here I am not wanting or thinking about ciggies!!
Another thing, If you had said to me 6 months ago that I would enjoy smoking a flavour like Vanilla Custard I would have laughed you out of the room LOL But that is exactly what i'm vaping alongside a few other 'abstract'  flavours LOL.
Cheers
Zip

Offline F150Girl

• O M G
  • Silly boys...trucks are for girls!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 02:48:39 am »
Caerulea, I also started smoking at age 12. By the time I quit, I was up to 3 packs a day for the last 6 or 8 years. I was 41 when I quit last year. I tried everything to quit. I smoked on the patches with no ill effects at all, I smoked with the gum, I tried the nicotine inhalers, chantix, everything. I also had very severe asthma.

My taste and sense of smell started changing within just a few days, but it continued to change for about a month.

Within 4 months, my asthma was getting better. Now, almost 20 months later, I hardly ever need my inhaler, and I got bronchitis only once last year and once this year, compared to having it almost all winter and spring in previous years.

But that is just MY experience. I don't claim it to be typical, just mine :)

Offline Big-Oinker

• God Like
  • dont sniff the pig's behind
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 06:16:25 pm »
i have to say that the reason that i, 2,5 years ago, started vaping was plain and simple to save money while still getting my nicotine.

started out with the tiny cigalike batteries but they only lasted 2-3 hours before needing a recharge so i got some ego batteries and what a change that was... 12 hours batterie life pr charge and the same day the ego-t system got on sale i purchased it, the old system with some kind of wadding was ok, even tried some of the blue foam, but the taste of the tank system was so much better, and after getting the ego-t i was a happy vaper, and then the larger tank systems started to arrive and now its genesis attys that deliveres my nicotine and flavour cravings ;D

so the cigarets can no longer tempt me as they just plain stink and taste like a crap

so im getting my nicotine and saving money (less after i got to know cookie) ;)
but from my point of view you should get some stronger nicotine to start with ... some 14mg would be a good start and perhaps 18mg for your hubby, and then take it from there .... but if your british you get fast delivery so you can just order and have it next day... me over in mainland euro have to think ahead and order 5-10 days before i need it

personaly i started of on 14mg and havent lowered it as i dont see the need to stop getting my nicotine and i used to smoke 25-30 unfiltered stinkies

just a little mixed info there

now back to your topic ... benefits :

takes less then 3 days to get rid of the morning cough
takes less then 1 week to get your smell and taste back to where it actualy works
and in less then 3 weeks you can taste and smell everything (even ants farting in the garden) ;)
in less then a week your cloths no longer smell like its been soaking in the ashtray
in less then a year you have saved 1000's of pounds that would have ended up in smokey nothing

VAPING RULES ! ;D

Offline TopCookie

• O M G
  • Absolute fcuker...!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 06:46:39 pm »
so im getting my nicotine and saving money (less after i got to know cookie) ;)

::)  ;D

Offline Caerulea

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 06:38:38 pm »
Hi all. Well I am fag free since Tuesday afternoon and yes,  it feels like cheating! I have had the odd feeling of impending psychotic rage but it passes pretty quickly and is nothing nothing NOTHING like I have gone through before. Hubby is finding it really easy too.  Really incredible.  Funny thing is,  he was determined to smoke tobacco flavoured liquids (which stink like stale urine to me)  and today I found him in the kitchen looking like Tigger having eaten Eeyores thistles.  He had left for work with my coffee mocha and a caramel lol.

The 18mg seems to be working for him and tbh the 8mg is working for me! I had a free sample of a 10mg grape and it tasted much too strong.

I generally feel happier, like a weight has been lifted. My fingers are no longer yellow and my skin already looks brighter. In fact,  this week I have mostly been feeling positive and pro active and lots of other things beginning with 'p'.

My mouth feels like it has been sandpapered though!  Is this normal?

Offline Indigo340

• O M G
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 06:49:31 pm »
That's all great to hear Caerula except for the sandpaper mouth bit  :o You don't say whether you are using PG or VG juices or both but I would say it is probably PG which is causing it. Some people get on better with PG, others like VG and some like a mixture. Oddly enough, some people who show a sensitivity to PG in the beginning are able to just continue using it and the problem sorts itself out while others will switch from PG to VG for a while then find that they can use PG without any sensitivity issues.

Offline Caerulea

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 06:57:22 pm »
Hiya,  well I have been using some PG and some VG. I figured it might just be my mouth getting used to the whole process.  I am hoping it passes as at the minute I don't get much of the flavour from whichever liquid I am using. Not past the first cppl of 'puffs' anyhow.

Offline F150Girl

• O M G
  • Silly boys...trucks are for girls!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 07:55:30 pm »
I had that sandpaper feeling in the beginning. I brushed my teeth & tongue about 8 times a day lol It went away after a couple of weeks :)

Offline OnkyWonky

• Do you mind if I don't smoke ?
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 07:58:56 pm »
oh yes lots of brushing  :)

Offline OnkyWonky

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 08:33:41 pm »
Hi again Caerulea, I must say that like many on this brill' forum I started smoking at the age of 12 and after 25 years realised I didn't want to smoke any more and that's when my troubles started....I couldn't give up. another 15 years of hell for me and my family lay ahead. Every time I attempted to give up smoking my doctor had to call the ambulance to rush me to the emergancy dept' because of my elevated blood pressure (160/120). This eventually lead to me having a brain haemorrhage and three heart attacks follwed by a 9 hour heart surgery. I had now been smoking for 40 years and was told by my cardiologist that until I could find a way of giving up smoking that I should carry on smoking so as to avoid further problems. This is where my life changed for the better, my son walked me into a vape shop(not Liberty Flight so we got ripped off) and he bought me an egoT kit.

Now my life gets even better, I haven't smoked a nic-stick for over 4 months and haven't even had the craving for one since I started vaping.

And again it gets better...I discovered Liberty Flights = no more being ripped off.

Yes you guessed it, yet again it gets better, THIS FORUM, it's full of like minded, funny but most of all, helpful people that are very willing to share their knowledge and I thank them for that. I will never stop vaping but I will now live a better life and to top it all I don't have to take medication to stay alive. I started on 24mg and I am currently vaping at 18mg and will stay at 18mg until or if I feel the need to go lower. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Indigo340

• O M G
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 09:12:12 pm »
Blimey Onky !  :o What a story, I like the part were your cardiologist told you to continue smoking for the good of your health ! Bloody National Health doctors eh ?  ;)

Offline OnkyWonky

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 09:19:13 pm »
It does sound odd but it was the only option due to the SAH, as most oral meds that help you stop smoking can cause a SAH, it was a vicious roundabout of smoking, not smoking and visits to A & E.

Offline Caerulea

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 09:31:20 pm »
S#@& a brick!  That kind of puts some serious perspective on things.  Congratulations onky :-)  I bet it feels really good to be where you are now, I found that to be quite an emotional read, thank you for sharing it.

So,  I think in the grand scheme of things,  my scummy mouth is not that big a deal so I will just wait for it to pass. ;-)

Offline OnkyWonky

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 09:49:54 pm »
I must say Caerulea I look back at those bad times and I tried to count the amount of bricks I lost but have now learnt only to look forward.

Look forward to vaping

Look forward to different flavours

Look forward to more mods

And most importantly look forward to life... Here endeth my lessen....now let us play

Offline WonkyTweet

• Oes toiledau yma?!
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 10:08:27 pm »
Hi again Caerulea, I must say that like many on this brill' forum I started smoking at the age of 12 and after 25 years realised I didn't want to smoke any more and that's when my troubles started....I couldn't give up. another 15 years of hell for me and my family lay ahead. Every time I attempted to give up smoking my doctor had to call the ambulance to rush me to the emergancy dept' because of my elevated blood pressure (160/120). This eventually lead to me having a brain haemorrhage and three heart attacks follwed by a 9 hour heart surgery. I had now been smoking for 40 years and was told by my cardiologist that until I could find a way of giving up smoking that I should carry on smoking so as to avoid further problems. This is where my life changed for the better, my son walked me into a vape shop(not Liberty Flight so we got ripped off) and he bought me an egoT kit.

Now my life gets even better, I haven't smoked a nic-stick for over 4 months and haven't even had the craving for one since I started vaping.

And again it gets better...I discovered Liberty Flights = no more being ripped off.

Yes you guessed it, yet again it gets better, THIS FORUM, it's full of like minded, funny but most of all, helpful people that are very willing to share their knowledge and I thank them for that. I will never stop vaping but I will now live a better life and to top it all I don't have to take medication to stay alive. I started on 24mg and I am currently vaping at 18mg and will stay at 18mg until or if I feel the need to go lower. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Oscar?! BAFTA?! LOL!! xx

Offline OnkyWonky

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 10:26:36 pm »
lol WonkyTweet, you trying to say I'm a bit of a drama queen luvvy ;D

Offline OnkyWonky

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 11:38:29 pm »
Sorry Caerulea, I forgot to mention that I had the sandpaper and sometimes the sticky slimy mouth problems(nearly said oral problems, which would have set them on me) but it settled down after a while. Doesn't hurt to brush the gums a bit more often.

Offline WonkyTweet

• Oes toiledau yma?!
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 12:11:04 am »
lol WonkyTweet, you trying to say I'm a bit of a drama queen luvvy ;D

LOL!  Luvvy?!¬  Where the flip did you get that from?!?!  And nah, that was quite an accurate summary actually - you neglected to mention having a heart attack in the dentist chair though! :) xx

Offline OnkyWonky

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 12:28:41 am »
I don't care if all my pegs drop out cause I'm not going back.....ever! lol

Offline WonkyTweet

• Oes toiledau yma?!
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 01:26:13 am »
I don't care if all my pegs drop out cause I'm not going back.....ever! lol

Don't blame you, death by dentist!!

Offline OnkyWonky

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 01:40:21 am »
The only metal implement going in my mouth is a nice king kong ming drip tip on the end of my pv.

Offline Big-Oinker

• God Like
  • dont sniff the pig's behind
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 07:15:02 am »
Sorry Caerulea, I forgot to mention that I had the sandpaper and sometimes the sticky slimy mouth problems(nearly said oral problems, which would have set them on me) but it settled down after a while. Doesn't hurt to brush the gums a bit more often.

whhhaaaaatttttt .... we wouldent dream of making fun of that ... welll almost not ..... possibly a little ....ok ok we would ;D